Submission Preparation Checklist
MANUSCRIPTS ARE TO BE EMAILED DIRECTLY TO THE EDITOR AT [email protected]
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in OpenOffice, Microsoft Word, RTF, or WordPerfect document file format.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
Instructions for submission
Original articles, editorial, correspondence and suggestion for review articles should be sent to:
Editor of Malaysian Dental Journal : [email protected]
Authors are requested to submit their typescript and illustrations via the email address provided. A paper is accepted for publication on the understanding that it has not been submitted simultaneously to another journal. The editor reserves the right to make editorial and literary corrections in the interest of conciseness, clarity and consistency. Any opinion expressed or policies advocated do not necessarily reflect the opinion or policies of the editors.
Authors submitting an article do so on the understanding that the work has not been published before. The submission of the manuscript by the authors means that the authors automatically agree to sign exclusive copyright to the Editor and the publication committee if and when the publication is accepted for publication. The copyright transfer agreement can be downloaded at the MDA webpage (www.mda.org.my). A copy of the agreement must be signed by the principal author before any paper can be published. There will be no limitation on your freedom to use material contained in the article (without having to request permission) provided that an acknowledgement is made to the journal as the original source of publication.
Presentation of manuscript
Please follow these instructions carefully as manuscripts which have not been prepared in the approved format will be rejected. Manuscripts should be submitted in journal style, in UK English with font should be Arial (size 12). Articles should be typed with double spacing. Papers should be set out as follows with each beginning in a separate page: title page, key words, abstract, text, acknowledgements, references, tables, caption to illustrations.
- Title page. The title page should give the following information: 1) title of the article; 2) full names and professional/ academic qualifications/positions of each author; 3) name, address, telephone, fax and e-mail address for the cor¬responding author, assumed to be the first listed author unless otherwise advised. If the paper was presented at an organised meeting, the name of the organization, location and date of the meeting should be included.
- Keywords. Please provide 3 to 5 keywords.
- Abstract. Summary of article, with a maximum of 250 words (structured as aim, materials and methods, results and conclusions).
- Text. Normally only two categories of heading should be used: major ones should be typed in capital in the centre of the page and underlined; minor ones (or subheadings) should be typed in lower case (with an initial capital let¬ter) at the left hand margin and underlined. Please use clear and concise language.
- References. The accuracy of the references is the responsibility of the author. References should be entered consec¬utively by Arabic numerals in superscript in the text. The reference list should be in numerical order on a separate page in double spacing. Reference to journals should include the author’s name and initials (list all authors when six or fewer; when seven or more list only the first three and add ‘et al.’), the title of paper, Journal name abbreviated, using index medicus abbreviations, year of publication, volume number, first and last page numbers (ie. Vancouver style).
- Reference to books should be sent out as follows: Scully C, Cawson RA, Medical Problems in Dentistry 3rd edn. Wright 1993:175.
- Tables. These should be double spaced on separate page, apart from the main text. A short descriptive title should appear above each table. Care must be taken to ensure that all units are included. Ensure that each table is cited in the text (e.g. Table 1, Table 2 etc)
- Illustrations. All illustrations should be submitted in high resolution JPEG or TIFF format, minimum of 300 dpi. Photomicrographs should have the magnification and details of the staining technique shown. Radiographs should be of good contrast. Captions should be typed, double spaced on separate sheets from the manuscript.
- Patient confidentiality. Where illustrations must include recognizable individuals, great care must be taken to ensure that consent for publication has been given. Otherwise, the patient’s eyes or any indentifiable anatomy should be masked.
- Permission to reproduce, borrowed illustration or table or identifiable clinical photographs. Written permission to reproduce, borrowed material (illustrations and tables) must be obtained form the original publisher and authors. Borrowed material should be acknowledged in the caption in this style. ‘Reproduced by the kind permission of…… (publishers) from /….(reference)’.
- Abbreviations and units. Avoid abbreviations in the title and abstract. All unusual abbreviations should be fully explained at their first occurrence in the text. All measurements should be expressed in SI units.
- Proprietary names. Proprietary names of drugs, instruments etc. should be indicated by the use of initial capital letters.
- Grant support. Any direct or indirect commercial involvement or interest must be declared.
- Ethical approval. For clinical studies, the approval of the relevant ethical committee must be obtained.
- Please include a photograph of the lead author.
A review or systematic review article should be concise and critically addressing the clinical questions. It contains: Abstract, main text with appropriate headings of the topic, tables/figures, conclusion, acknowledgement and references. Authors for systematic review should followed the standard protocol such as report on the search strategy, inclusion and exclusion criteria, quality assessment of the selected articles, meta-analysis (if applicable) and conclusions.
Reviewing of manuscripts
All submissions will be peer-reviewed anonymously.
Page proofs will be emailed to the author for checking. The proofs with any minor corrections must be returned via email to the editor within 48 hours of receipt. No significant changes are allowed at this stage, unless permitted by the Editor. Proofreading is the responsibility of the authors, and the Editorial Committee will not be responsible if there are any wrongdoings in the manuscript. The Editor has the right to reject the manuscript if no response is received.