Dear beloved members and colleagues,
Greetings from the Malaysian Dental Association. Wishing all of you Happy National Day 2020! I wish all of you in the pink of health always. Our nation is still observing the recently extended Recovery – Movement Control Order, until 31st December 2020, to control further the COVID-19 outbreak as announced by our Prime Minister, YAB Tan Sri Dato’ Haji Muhyiddin bin Haji Mohd. Yassin. This “invisible” enemy has brought the association almost to a standstill and hit the association really hard. 4 major events in Malaysia, namely, the national launching of the World Oral Health Day 2020, Borneo Dental Congress 2020, Penang Dental Congress 2020 and MIDEC 2020 had to be called off.
Yes, the nation is not completely out of the woods but we are indeed recovering. Although, the practice of dentistry, an essential service to nation, is still ongoing and very much needed by our Rakyat, I trust that all Dental Practitioners will continue, as always, to take all relevant precautions to ensure safety in the provision of care during this time of COVID-19 concern. There is always a need to ensure our clients that receiving dental treatment is safe even in this challenging time, provided all of us, patients, practitioners and staffs, play our roles.
Though the COVID-19 outbreak has posed many restrictions and challenges to the association, I am glad to say that the council members, together with our secretariat staffs, are kept busy in maintaining and running of the businesses of the association. The MDA Council met twice just before the AGM via teleconference. Even the MDA Trade Committee relied on teleconference for our meetings with contractors for our upcoming dental exhibition and conference in 2021.
I wish to take this opportunity to thank all members for supporting our recently concluded 77th MDA Annual General Meeting on the 30th August 2020. This AGM will definitely go into the history of the association as it was conducted with observance to the new norms and all Standard Operating Procedures required by the authorities. I also wish to congratulate the newly elected Patients Complaint Bureau Committee for the term 2020 – 2023 manned by the following members:
Chairman: Dr Darren Yap Yoke Sing
Deputy Chairman: Dr S. Shashitaran
Members: Dr Mohamad Muzafar Hamirudin, Prof Dr Phrabhakaran Nambiar, Dr Karen Voon Kai Rou
Official functions attended by our council members are as follow:
- Malaysian Dental Students Association AGM (virtual) on the 12th July 2020. This was attended and officiated by the President of MDA, Dr Leong Kei Joe.
- Paradontax ® virtual launch cum webinar by GSK on the 18th July 2020. This was moderated by our MDA SCODOS representative, Dr Mohd Salman Bin Masri.
- MITI (Ministry of International Trade and Industry) Services Sector Blueprint – Syndication Workshop on the 10th August 2020 which was attended by our Honorary General Secretary, Dr Chong Zhen Feng.
- Mesyuarat Minggu Kesedaran Kanser Mulut 1/2020 at University Malaya on the 18th August 2020. This was attended by our Honorary Publication Secretary, Dr Mas Suryalis.
- Mesyuarat Ahli Jawatankuasa Induk “National Oral Health Plan” at Putrajaya on the 22nd August 2020. This was attended by the President of MDA, Dr Leong Kei Joe.
- Board of review of Dental Curriculum for UiTM at UiTM on the 23rd August 2020. This was attended by our Honorary General Secretary, Dr Chong Zhen Feng.
- Malaysian Healthcare Conference 2020 at The Ritz – Carlton Kuala Lumpur on the 25th August 2020. This was attended by our Honorary General Secretary, Dr Chong Zhen Feng.
- The association also released some press statements recently on issues pertaining to illegal dentistry in Malaysia (The Many Faces of Illegal Dentistry) and on the safety of dental treatment during the COVID-19 outbreak (MDA response to COVID-19 and oral health services). The main intention of such press statements was to create awareness among the general public.
- At the international arena, although MDA could not physically attend the invitations from other National Dental Associations, our association were “invited” to give video messages at their national dental conferences, namely to Taiwan Dental Association and Gyeonggi Dental Association. MDA also supported Myanmar Dental Association in providing speakers for their Mid – Year Digital Conference 2020 which started in August 2020. For your information, the FDI World Dental Congress 2020 that was scheduled to be held in Shanghai, China in September 2020 was already called off earlier of the year due to the concern of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I will also wish to inform our members that the World Oral Health Day 2020 celebration will draw to a close on the 19th September 2020 with announcement of the winners of the photography competition and a simple closing ceremony at Wisma MDA. This extended “celebration” of the World Oral Health Day, worldwide launching on the 20th March 2020, was a special event this year due to the unprecedented outbreak of COVID—19 globally. The celebration was “kept alive” with webinars and workshops for the past many months.
On a final note, in line with the theme of our National Day, MALAYSIA PRIHATIN, I urge all members to reflect deeply into its meaning as it is truly applicable even to a wider perspective. There are elements of “oneness”, “unity” and “a call for common action”. Thank you.
Yours in MDA,
Kei Joe LEONG